Inspired by our founder, Rusty Obra, we strive to showcase exceptional beans from multiple Hawaiian regions.So far, we have been recognized for coffees grown in the Ka‘u and Kona districts on the Big Island, as well as on Maui island.
RECOGNITIONS FOR COFFEE ROASTING:
- 2017, 2019: Three of our coffees won medals in the “North American (Milk Based)” category at the Golden Bean North America Coffee Roasters Competition. They are:
- Bronze Medal for Ka‘u Classic Medium Roast (2019)
- Silver medal for Ka‘u Classic Dark Roast (2017)
- Bronze Medal for Celebration of Hawaii (2017)
- 2018: Named as one of the United States' top 12 coffee roasters by Forbes magazine.
- 2009-2018: Seven of our coffees have received 93+ scores in “Coffee Review: The World’s Leading Coffee-Buying Guide.” They are:
- Three 95-point scores in "Coffee Review” for Maui Mokka Peaberry, Natural Yellow Caturra, and Grand Champion Ka‘u Red Bourbon.
- 94 points in "Coffee Review" for Kona Honey Maragogype. This was among "Coffee Review's" Top 30 Coffees of 2013.
- Three 93-point scores in "Coffee Review" for our Ka‘u Oro Yeast Typica, Ka‘u Classic Medium Roast and our Natural Typica.
- Our Ka’u Oro Yeast Typica was selected as one of Coffee Review’s best Hawaiian coffees of 2018.
- 2014: People's Choice Award at the inaugural "Roast & Roots" festival in Kona
- 2013: 5th Place in the Roaster’s Guild’s Roasters Choice international competition.
AWARDS FOR COFFEE BREWING:
AWARDS FOR COFFEE PRODUCTION (UNROASTED COFFEE):
- 2014: Provided Natural Red Bourbon used by Asli Yaman to earn third place in the World Brewers Cup. Also provided the Natural Red Caturra that she used to win the Turkish Brewers Cup. As the chief roastmaster of Soyuz Coffee Roasting, Asli roasted and brewed this coffee for the competitions.
- 2013: First Place in the Ka‘u District, Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2012: One of 10 worldwide winners in the Roasters Guild's Coffees of the Year Competition
- 2011: Provided Ka‘u beans for Pete Licata's Ka‘u-Kona espresso. Using this coffee, he won the United States Barista Championship and took second place in the World Barista Championship.
- 2011: Grand Champion of the Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2010: Grand Champion of the Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2010: Named Outstanding Producer of the Year by the Speciality Coffee Association of Europe