Inspired by our founder, Rusty Obra, we strive to showcase exceptional beans from multiple Hawaiian regions. So far, we have been recognized for coffees grown in the Ka‘u and Kona districts on the Big Island, as well as on Maui island.
RECOGNITIONS FOR COFFEE ROASTING:
- 2009-2022: Eleven of our coffees have received 92+ scores in “Coffee Review: The World’s Leading Coffee-Buying Guide.” They are:
- Four 95-point scores for Kona Maragogype Peaberry Natural (which was among "Coffee Review's" Top 30 Coffees of 2021), Maui Mokka Peaberry, Natural Yellow Caturra, and Grand Champion Ka‘u Red Bourbon.
- Three 94-point scores for Oahu Triple-Bourbon “Sparkling” Yeast Ferment, Ka'u Classic Dark Roast (which was among "Coffee Review's" Top 30 Coffees of 2022), and Kona Honey Maragogype (which was among "Coffee Review's" Top 30 Coffees of 2013).
- Four 93-point scores for our Ka‘u Oro Yeast Typica (which was one of "Coffee Review's" best Hawaiian coffees of 2018), Ka‘u Classic Medium Roast, and Kona Washed Maragogype.
- 92 points for our Natural Typica.
2021: Three of our coffees have have received 4.5+ stars on Roast Ratings. They are:
- One 5-star rating for Natural Yellow Bourbon
- Two 4.5-star ratings for our Natural Red Caturra and Ka'u Classic Medium Roast
- 2017, 2019: Three of our coffees won medals in the “North American (Milk Based)” category at the Golden Bean North America Coffee Roasters Competition. They are:
- Bronze Medal for Ka‘u Classic Medium Roast (2019)
- Silver Medal for Ka‘u Classic Dark Roast (2017)
- Bronze Medal for Celebration of Hawaii (2017)
- 2018: Named as one of the United States' top 12 coffee roasters by Forbes magazine.
- 2014: People's Choice Award at the inaugural "Roast & Roots" festival in Kona
- 2013: 5th Place in the Roaster’s Guild’s Roasters Choice international competition.
AWARDS FOR COFFEE BREWING:
- 2016: Rusty Obra, son of Rusty’s Hawaiian founders Rusty and Lorie Obra, won the U.S. Eastern Regional AeroPress Championship.
- 2015: Rusty Obra won the US AeroPress Championship. (All competitors brewed beans from Counter Culture Coffee.)
AWARDS FOR COFFEE PRODUCTION (UNROASTED COFFEE):
- 2022: Eighth place in the State of Hawaii, Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2021: Fifth place in the State of Hawaii, Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2015: Fourth place in the State of Hawaii, Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2014: Provided Natural Red Bourbon used by Asli Yaman to earn third place in the World Brewers Cup. Also provided the Natural Red Caturra that she used to win the Turkish Brewers Cup. As the chief roastmaster of Soyuz Coffee Roasting, Asli roasted and brewed this coffee for the competitions.
- 2013: First Place in the Ka‘u District (Fourth Place overall), State of Hawaii, Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2012: One of 10 worldwide winners in the Roasters Guild's Coffees of the Year Competition
- 2011: Provided Ka‘u beans for Pete Licata's Ka‘u-Kona espresso. Using this coffee, he won the United States Barista Championship and took second place in the World Barista Championship.
- 2011: Grand Champion of the Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2010: Grand Champion of the Hawaii Coffee Association's statewide cupping competition
- 2010: Named Outstanding Producer of the Year by the Speciality Coffee Association of Europe